We are excited to introduce you to IMAA, a new tool designed by IHDA’s Strategic Planning and Reporting (SPAR) team that is intended to aid all affordable housing practitioners in analyzing markets and site appropriateness. IMAA provides market level data aggregated by census tracts that can help with tenant targeting, local coordination, income targeting etc. IMAA can be used to build better and more competitive applications and to better address the underlying housing needs of Illinoisans throughout the state.
The IHDA Market Analysis Application (IMAA) summarizes economic, demographic and housing information based on the market area that a user selects. The data presented in the Market Analysis Application is generally aggregated from publicly available data. Additional market-level access to many of IHDA’s independently published metrics and measurements are also incorporated. In depth descriptions of these metrics are provided elsewhere on the SPAR-maintained Market Analysis link on IHDA.org.
Click on the image below to access the IHDA Market Analysis Application.
You can find a detailed list of instructions on how to use the IMAA tool here.
The IHDA Market Analysis Application (IMAA) provides functionality that enables the user to find the address of the development and interactively select the census tracts on the map that compose the market area for the development. The default summary data presented on the data panel is for Illinois, but this data will automatically update as the user selects a market area.
Important Functions of the Tool:
- Search Function – located in the upper left corner of the map. Allows a user to enter a specific address. Click on the Search symbol and a Search field will appear.
- Select Function – located in the left middle portion of the dashboard. Allows a user to select census tracts (by rectangle or by line) to be included in a market area. Once activated, the Select button will become highlighted with a white rectangle. Click the arrow on Select to choose a select option in the menu. Select by rectangle is a default option. To deactivate Select function, click on it again.
- Select by Rectangle mode selects census tracts by dragging the pointer on the map. Press down on a census tract and drag the pointer to select all the census tracts of interest and let go when done, data from all census tracts included in the rectangle will be included in the display of data.
- Select by Line mode selects census tracts by clicking on each census tract. Click on each census tract individually and then double click to finish the selection.
- To add additional census tracts to the existing selection, press the Shift key while dragging or clicking the pointer on the map. To remove selected features from the selection, press the Ctrl key while dragging or clicking the pointer on the map.
For additional guidance on how to access the functionality of the Market Analysis Application, please see our PowerPoint Presentation that will be periodically updated to answer Frequently Asked Questions. Please also feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions and comments about the tool. We are constantly looking for ways to improve this tool and are open to evolving it based on public input.