Healthy Housing, Healthy Communities (H3C) Partnership Initiative
About the Initiative
IHDA was one of six housing finance agencies to receive a Healthy Housing, Healthy Communities (H3C) grant in 2022. Funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in partnership with National Council of State Housing Agencies (NCSHA), the goal of the H3C grant is to build strategic partnerships with hospitals, managed care organizations (MCOs), and insurers to build affordable housing that also addresses inequities in community health.
Funding for this program supports technical assistance and community engagement as IHDA develops a Healthy Housing, Healthy Communities Partnership Plan that details the housing projects coming out of this effort and how these projects address community health inequities.
As part of this plan, IHDA will issue a Request for Applications in July 2023 for demonstration projects that incorporate financial commitments from hospitals and health organizations. IHDA has allocated $15 million in Authority resources as a seed fund to jumpstart affordable housing projects that result from this initiative. This H3C funding is being paired with IHDA’s Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) Demonstration Program. While H3C focused projects do not need to meet all PSH program requirements, applications must be submitted according to the PSH RFA instructions.
When the Request for Applications (RFA) becomes available, links to application will be listed below.
H3C Key Dates/ Program Timeline
The Illinois Housing Development Authority is pleased to announce dates for the 2023 H3C application round, which will be a component of the Permanent Supportive Housing Development RFA. Please see the key event deadlines below:
|Request for Applications Published||Tuesday, July 11|
|Informational Webinar||Tuesday, July 18|
|Mandatory Concept Meetings||August – October|
|Mandatory Application Workshops||Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
|Applications Due||Friday, December 15, 2023|
Please direct any questions to H3C_Information@ihda.org
Request For Application and Program Documents
The Illinois Housing Development Authority anticipates opening the Request for Applications on Tuesday, July 11. Once available, the application documents will be in this location.
In the meantime, you may find our key dates here. Please direct any questions to H3C_Information@ihda.org
Work to Date
Healthy Housing, Healthy Communities Partnership Grant Presentation
- A convening of developers, healthcare and public health officials at IHDA’s offices in February, 2023, explored partnerships for affordable housing.
CMAP Homes for a Changing Region
- In 2012, the Homes for a Changing Region process examined housing issues in the Village of Maywood along with a cluster of four other suburban communities in western Cook County. We hope to leverage the multiple large hospitals, universities, and other anchor institutions surrounding Maywood to help redevelop safe, decent, affordable housing for the county’s most vulnerable populations as well as bring more employees to live in the community.
City of Peoria Community Revitalization Plan
- IHDA’s Community Revitalization group partnered with the City of Peoria in 2019 and 2020 to plan for affordable housing in three neighborhoods, including two adjacent to the OSF Peoria Medical campus and the University of Illinois College of Medicine. Strong existing partnerships between housing developers and healthcare partners support the City’s efforts toward neighborhood redevelopment and affordable housing.
- Case Studies
- Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Center for Community Investment
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Want more information? Join this collaboration with leaders and experts across the healthcare, housing, and homelessness sectors.
Submit your information in this form below and we will be in touch when more information is available.
Questions may be directed to H3C_Information@ihda.org.