The tenant-led application period for the Illinois Rental Payment Program is now closed for new applications until further notice. All joint applications completed by both the tenant and the landlord are currently being evaluated for funding and IHDA will contact all applicants upon completion of the review. Applications initiated by tenants prior to Sunday, July 18 at 11:59 p.m. will remain accessible to landlords and may be completed until 11:59 p.m. on August 15, 2021. You may check the status of your application at ilrpp.ihda.org/status.
If a landlord chooses not to participate in ILRPP, IHDA may make payments directly to the tenant. If you are a tenant and your landlord does not respond to your application, please contact a Housing Stability Service Provider as soon as possible for instructions to complete your application.
- You may reach the call center at 866-454-3571 or via email at Questions.ILRPP@ihda.org.
- On Monday, June 28 and going forward, the Call Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Find a Housing Stability Service (HSS) Provider here.
- Need to find ILRPP income limits, find ILRPP income limits here.
You may find more program information below including our “How to Apply” video, grant information, eligibility requirements, FAQs and other resources.
- Please note at this time, there is not an emergency mortgage program for homeowners. We expect a program to open in fall 2021. Please continue to check this site for future program updates.
How To Apply Video (English)
How To Apply Video (Spanish)
Applicants are eligible for up to 15 months of assistance. The grant can cover the past due rent from the previous 12 months and future rental assistance for the next three months, if deemed necessary. The maximum grant amount is $25,000. The emergency rental assistance is provided by the Federal government and is free to tenant and housing provider. If approved, the grant will be paid to the housing provider in the form of a check.
In order to receive financial assistance through ILRPP, tenants must meet all of the following:
- Household is at risk of homelessness or housing instability (i.e. household received a past due rent or eviction notice)
- Household lives in Illinois and rents their home as their primary residence
- Household’s total gross income cannot exceed 80% Area Median Income for location
- Household must have experienced a financial hardship directly — or indirectly — due to the pandemic, for example:
- Being laid off
- Place of employment has closed
- Reduction in hours of work
- Loss of spousal/child support
- Inability to find work due to COVID-19
- Having to stay home with children due to closure of day care/school
- Unable to participate in previous employment due to the workplace’s high risk of severe illness from COVID-19
- Housing Providers
- Evidence of past-due rent
- Copy of 2019 Property Tax Bill or 2021 monthly mortgage statement
- Grant payment information for check distribution
- Current signed lease (if available)
- SSN or ITIN
- Employer Identification Number (if payment is made to a business entity)
- Rental unit information (unit type, address, rent amount)
- Fully executed and current property management agreement (if payment is made to a property manager)
- Valid email address
- Government-issued photo ID
- A utility bill or proof of address (if the address on your ID is not your current address)
- Monthly rent and amount past-due
- Proof of household income in 2020
- Proof of public assistance (if applicable)
- Valid email address
- Proof of immigration status (or social security number) is not required
The application will be a joint application from the housing provider and the tenant. We strongly encourage you to communicate with each other and begin preparing your materials.
IHDA KEY METRICS TO DATE
Completed Applications Total
Number of Applications Funded
AMI% of Approved Applications
|94,174||20,790||$172,865,948||90% of approvals have assisted households at or below 50% AMI|
Please find links to the ILRPP FAQ below.
Housing Provider Frequently Asked Questions:
- FAQs in English are here.
- FAQs in Spanish are here.
- FAQs in Arabic are here.
- FAQs in Chinese are here.
- FAQs in Hindi are here.
- FAQs in Polish are here.
- FAQs in Portuguese are here.
- FAQs in Tagalog are here.
Tenant Frequently Asked Questions:
Please find a link to a list of ILRPP Housing Stability Service (HSS) providers below.